Ruby is one of the rare varieties of red rice, its homeland is the territory of Iran . Thanks to its properties, ruby rice has become popular and in-demand among people who adhere to proper nutrition or just want to eat delicious food without gaining extra pounds.
The harm of red rice
To the question: “Is ruby rice harmful to health”? Experts give an unequivocal answer – no, it is safe. Even allergy sufferers can include it in the menu, since the product does not contain the vegetable protein gluten. It is recommended for nutrition to a different age group of the population, including children and diabetics. So that the product does not cause flatulence, start using it with small portions. Are you counting calories to keep fit? Consider the calorie content – 360 calories per 100 g of grains.
It is rare that a product does not carry practically any danger to human health. Red rice is just such a safe food. It can be eaten by children, diabetics, those who are prone to allergies, and, of course, everyone else.
The only, in my opinion, a disadvantage is its calorie content: only 100 g of the product will give the body about 400 kcal. So, if you are trying to lose weight or want to stay slim, you should not be zealous in eating this useful product in all respects.
This variety of red rice stands out among others for its unique and rich chemical composition.
How is it different from other varieties
The main difference between Ruby and other varieties of rice is the oblong shape and dark red color of the shell, which contains valuable nutrients. The upper surface of the grains is soft due to the abundance of dietary fiber.
This variety of rice is rich in vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamins B, E, K, H, PP and beta-carotene. Ruby contains phosphorus, potassium, sodium, calcium, silicon, sulfur, magnesium, chlorine, iron, selenium, iodine, chromium, zinc, cobalt, copper and boron. And also antioxidants – merocyanine, amino acids and a large amount of dietary fiber.
Calorie content and BJU
Ruby’s calorie content is 340 kcal per 100 g. Contains 7.5 g of protein, 3 g of fat and 68 g of carbohydrates. Contains 3.5 g of dietary fiber.
Is it suitable for weight loss
This variety of rice is recommended by nutritionists as one of the main products for weight loss. Nutrients, a large amount of fiber, high energy value – all this gives a long-lasting feeling of fullness and a surge of strength and energy, which is important when playing sports or during prolonged physical exertion, which are also important for losing excess weight.
Reference. There is a diet whose main product is Rubin rice. For three days, you should eat 250 g of Ruby daily as part of four servings of light and low-fat meals. At the same time, fried, sweet and starchy foods are excluded, replacing them with fresh vegetables.
Useful properties for the human body
Due to the large number of minerals, vitamins and amino acids, Rubin rice is good for human health:
- improves intestinal microflora due to high fiber content;
- stabilizes blood sugar levels, which makes this variety of rice a useful product for people with diabetes;
- cleanses the body of cholesterol;
- reduces the likelihood of developing oncology with regular use;
- improves the condition of the skin, hair, nails, which is ensured by the presence of B vitamins;
- used for diarrhea and poisoning;
- can be eaten by children and allergy sufferers, as it does not contain gluten;
- due to its satiety, it is recommended for weight loss;
- stimulates the work of the cardiovascular system;
- stimulates the production of serotonin, which has a positive effect on the nervous system.
Possible harm and contraindication
With moderate use, this product can not harm the human body. However, it is not worth abusing it for people who want to lose weight, as it is quite high in calories.
A product such as rice, with its excessive use, can provoke:
- stomach ache;
- deterioration in general well-being, etc.
It is advisable to stop using this product in case of diabetes. Frequent constipation is a contraindication for including it in the diet. The product in this case can aggravate the situation.
A contraindication for inclusion in the diet of this rice is a history of intestinal obstruction.
You can not use it in the presence of acute or chronic diseases of the kidneys and liver. A contraindication for the inclusion in the diet of dishes with this rice is its individual intolerance.
Check out the Difference Between White and Red Beans
What is Ruby rice used for?
Ruby is used to provide nourishing, healthy and energy-dense nutrition. In addition, it is actively used in cooking for the preparation of various dishes.
Recipes with Ruby rice
With this variety of rice, not only tasty and healthy porridge is prepared, but also a variety of dishes and delicacies.
Rice salad Ruby with green beans
To prepare a dish for four people you will need:
- 200 g ruby;
- two handfuls of frozen green beans;
- one handful of salted peanuts;
- one stalk of lemongrass;
- a small bunch of cilantro and basil;
- 0.5 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes.
Rinse and boil the rice first, defrost the green beans and hold for 3-5 minutes in boiling water, then pour over with cold water. Next – chop the sorghum, bunches of cilantro and basil, chop the peanuts. Mix everything together, but sprinkle with crushed peanuts just before serving the dish.
Rice Ruby with pork and green peas
To prepare a dish for four people you will need:
- 200 g Ruby rice;
- 400 g pork neck;
- 100 g green peas;
- 20 g of ginger;
- 3 cloves of garlic;
- 1 chili pepper;
- 2 tbsp. l. tomato paste;
- 1 tablespoon sugar;
- 4 tbsp. l. soy sauce;
- 5 st. l. sesame oil;
- 0.1 l of water;
- bunch of cilantro.
First you need to rinse and boil the rice, finely chop the ginger, garlic, chili, cilantro. Then cut the neck into medium cubes, heat a frying pan with oil and fry the meat over high heat for four minutes. Add chopped products, except cilantro, and after 30 seconds add tomato paste, water, peas and soy sauce, then hold for another two minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in rice. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.
Ruby rice with kupatas and radicchio
To prepare a dish for six people you will need:
- 400 g of rice;
- 5 kupat from pork or veal;
- 1 head of radicchio;
- one head of red onion;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- a small bunch of chives;
- 150 ml dry red wine;
- 300 ml chicken broth;
- 1 st. l. olive oil;
- 2 tbsp. l. extra virgin olive oil;
- 1 tsp butter.
First, finely chop the onion and garlic. Next, heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan, fry the onion and garlic over low heat. After removing the shell, cut the kupaty and fry with onion and garlic.
Then finely chop the radicchio and add to the pan, then mix everything and continue to fry. Pour rice and mix everything, pour wine into the pan, mix and let it evaporate, then pour the contents of the pan with broth and cook without covering with a lid.
After cooking, transfer the dish to another dish, sprinkle with chopped chives and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Reference. Instead of radicchio, you can use chicory or arugula, replace chicken broth with vegetable broth, and take kupaty from turkey instead of pork and veal.
How to cook it properly
To properly weld Ruby, you must perform several steps:
- sort out rice, removing husks, bugs and other debris;
- rinse it in cold water until it becomes clear;
- transfer the Ruby to a colander to make the water glass, then transfer to a saucepan with a thick bottom;
- pour hot water in the ratio of one glass of rice to two and a half glasses of water, while the liquid in the pan should overlap Ruby by 2-3 cm;
- add salt and spices to taste and put the container on a strong fire until the liquid boils, and then reduce the heat and cook with the lid closed for 40 minutes;
- open the lid every few minutes and remove the foam if it has formed;
- when all the liquid is absorbed into the grains, you can remove the rice from the fire, if the water remains, then hold it on the fire for another 10-20 minutes;
- after removing, add oil to taste and mix.
How to cook red rice?
Red rice grown in different countries has its own characteristics:
- if you purchased a product grown in the south of France, during the cooking process you will get a somewhat sticky dish;
- a culture grown in the Himalayas, when cooked, acquires a pale pink hue, also becomes a little sticky and very soft, the aroma of the finished dish is rich, unusual;
- rice grown in Thailand, very tasty, tender, has a mixed aroma of bread with milky undertones;
- the Indians, the rice they cultivate (the variety is called “ruby”) are used not only for food, but also for various religious ceremonies with it, this variety has a dark brown color and a dense shell;
- in America, a rice variety is grown, which is called the “California ruby”, it is darker than other varieties of red rice, rather already completely burgundy. It is extremely loved by gourmets and adherents of a healthy lifestyle – if such a variety is cooked in a slow cooker according to all the rules, it will retain all its valuable substances.
Despite such interesting characteristics of different varieties of rice, they have something in common: red rice tastes sweet and, although sold unpolished, has a rather softshell. Usually, with it very tasty and unusual dishes are obtained. It can be cooked with vegetables, mushrooms, as a side dish for meat, poultry or fish, it is also combined with milk and dried fruits.
Although red rice usually takes longer to cook than the white rice we know, you won’t overcook it because of the very raw shell that covers each rice. Features of cooking red rice
To begin with, carefully sort out the grits, as flaky red rice can come with a lot of litter. Remove darkened, crushed rice grains. After you thoroughly rinse the sorted cereal, pour it into a saucepan with a thick bottom and pour in boiling water (calculated as one glass of grains per 400-500g of boiling water). The main thing is that the water level should be at least a couple of fingers above the level of the cereal.
After salting the water with rice, place the pan on the fire. After waiting for the water to boil, remove the foam. You need to cook cereals, covering the pan with a lid, over low heat for 30-40 minutes. When the water in the pan disappears and the grains become soft, the rice is ready. It remains to let it brew for 5 minutes. and then drizzle with olive oil.